Are you formatting your phone, or migrating your data to a new phone, then do not forget to create a backup of your WhatsApp chats on Google Drive and iCloud.
Millions of users use WhatsApp, and it also has become the home of numerous small-scale businesses. Therefore, keeping a backup of chats, received files, and other data is very important. So, that you can easily get your chats, files, or data back in case you lost your phone, got a new one, or reset it.
So, in this article, let us learn, how to create a Backup of WhatsApp chats and how to restore them on your new phone.
Also Read: How to schedule messages on WhatsApp?
Create a backup of WhatsApp chats on Android
- Open WhatsApp on your phone and click on the three-dot menu located in the upper-right corner.
- Go to settings, then tap on Chat, and then select Chat backup.
- Look for the Google Account option. Then connect your Gmail account to your WhatsApp for creating a backup on Google Drive.
- After completing the above steps, tap on the green Back up button.
WhatsApp will ask you the frequency for backing up your data, for example, if you want your data to be backed up daily, then select Daily. There are a few more options that you can select such as Never, Only When I Tap “Back Up,” Daily, Weekly, or Monthly.
You can also select if you want to create a backup using your cellular data. More on, you can turn on include videos for creating a backup for videos.
Restore your Chat history
You can restore your chat history if you have created a backup. To restore your backup:
- Log in to your Google account on your new device. Make sure you use the same account you used while creating the backup.
- Install WhatsApp, and open it.
- Tap on Restore when WhatsApp will ask to restore media and chats.
- Tap on Next when restoring is done.
In case, you have not created any backup before, then you can get your last seven days’ data through a local backup. WhatsApp automatically creates a local backup and restores it. Your local backup is created every day at 2:00 AM and saved in files on your phone.
Also Read: How to restore deleted WhatsApp messages?
Create a backup of WhatsApp chats on iOS
You can create a backup of your WhatsApp chats on iCloud. For creating a backup of WhatsApp chats on an iPhone, you must have your iCloud account logged in. If you do not have one, create one before trying to create a backup. Also, make sure that your iCloud backup is turned on.
- Open WhatsApp, and go to settings.
- Tap on Chat, then select Chat Backup.
- Enable Auto backup and set the frequency (daily, weekly, or monthly)
Export chats from WhatsApp
You can export your chats from WhatsApp both on Android and iOS. For exporting chats from WhatsApp follow the steps below.
- Go to Settings, and select Chats.
- Tap on Chat history.
- Select Export chat.
- Choose the chat you want to export. Also, WhatsApp will ask if you want to download the chat with data or not.
- Select the location on your device where you want to store it.
Or you can export a particular chat from the chat itself. For doing so;
- Open the chat thread that you want to export.
- Click on the three-dot icon in the upper-right corner.
- Select More.
- Choose Export chat, and you are done.
THANKYOU FOR READING We hope this article was helpful. If it was, then let us know in the comments below. Also, if you are interested in simialr articles, here are a few recommendations for you. How to restore deleted WhatsApp messages? How to create a WhatsApp account? 5 simple steps