In this Instagram tutorial, we will learn the basics of Instagram – what it is, how to use Instagram, setting up an account, posting on Instagram, and much more. This Instagram tutorial will help you to get started with the app.
With millions of daily users, billions of posted photos, and the backing of countless celebrities, Instagram has become much more than a simple photo-sharing app. It’s home to millions of users who simply want to share their experiences, lives, insights, and expertise.
Instagram offers more than simply dumping photos occasionally. It is used by individuals and businesses to promote work, ethics, politics, and much more.
Instagram tutorial: What is Instagram?
Instagram is simply a social media application made for sharing photos and videos from a mobile device. Users have a profile and feed with which they can follow other users to view their profile feeds, as well as populate their own feed with content. There’s a lot that can be gained from Instagram if you know how to use it.
Unlike other social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, Instagram has always been more focused on visual media and art than textual media. But, recently text has been appearing more and more since people have started sharing important social and political messages on Instagram.
In this Instagram tutorial, we will learn
- How to set up an Instagram account?
- How does Instagram notification work?
- How you can connect your Instagram with other social media accounts?
- How to edit and upload an Image?
- How you can post Images or Videos to your story?
- How to follow people on Instagram?
Setting up an Instagram account
To sign up for Instagram you need to download the app from the Google Play Store or the App store. Once you do that click on “sign up”. You can choose to sign up through Facebook, an email, or a phone number. After you choose a username and password, you’re ready to build your profile. Now you’re logged in to your profile. It’s time to add a profile photo and bio (if you want to). To do so go to your profile and click on “Edit Profile” where you can add a profile picture from your phone gallery, change your user name, and add a website (if you have one). And lastly, you can add your bio which will be shown on your profile. People usually write about themselves, like their birth date, sun sign, etc.
Also Read: Microsoft OneNote tutorial
How do Instagram notifications work?
Now that you’ve created your account, you might want to adjust your notification so that you only receive the information you want, Instagram tutorial must include notification settings. For that, you need to click on the three lines which are at the top right corner. Click on “settings” –> “notification”. Now you have many options, for instance, if you click on “pause all” you won’t receive notifications but you’ll be able to see new notifications when you open Instagram. Likewise, you can choose to receive a notification when you get likes and comments from everyone, but, alternatively, you can choose to receive a notification when you get a like from someone you follow. Or you can turn off notifications for likes and comments altogether.
You can turn on or off your message and follower request. And if you follow someone who goes Live frequently, which can be annoying, then you can also turn off Live notifications. You can do the same for the following categories- comments and likes on your photos, follower requests, message requests, first posts and stories, product announcements, view count, mention in bio, IGTV video updates, and video chats. If this is too overwhelming for you then you can turn on notifications “from everyone”, for the time being, and turn them off later, according to what suits you.
Also Read: InShot video editing tutorial
Connect Instagram with other social media accounts
When you post an image on Instagram you get the option to share it on your other social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter. To link your other social media accounts to your Instagram, follow these steps:
- Go to “settings” and click on “account”
- Click on “sharing to other apps”, select whichever social media platform you’d like to link with your Instagram and input the necessary information. Now whenever you want to post something on a different social media platform, you can use Instagram to do so. The same post will be posted on different social media accounts.
Edit and Upload an Image or video :
As we mentioned before, Instagram is a visual platform. So sharing photos or videos is a great way to increase your reach. Most people trying to do so post once a day. So here’s how you can upload a photo or video:
1. Tap on the ‘+’ icon at the top right corner of the screen which will take you to your phone gallery.
2. Choose a photo or video from your phone gallery or you can click one in the app.
Instagram will show you the photos which are already saved on your phone. Choose one if you want or click one in the app itself. To do so you need to click on the camera icon near the “select multiple” option. Once it’s done, click on the arrow icon at the top right corner of the app. “Select multiple”, helps you to select multiple images at once. After that, you can also crop the images. You can share horizontal or vertical images as well. Pinch the screen of your photo if you want more of the image to be seen.
3. Pick a filter.
Instagram offers 21 filters to choose from. You can click on the magic wand to change the opacity of the filter you choose. Besides filter, there’s an option for “edit” which allows you to adjust the picture, change its brightness, contrast, shadows, etc. Here you can play with colours and make the picture look even prettier. You should try it for yourself.
- Now it’s time to type your caption, tag people, add location and also share the picture on different social media platforms. After that click on “tick” to share the picture with your followers.
Also Read: Detailed Google keep tutorial 2021
How to post Images and Videos on Story?
It is a feature that allows us to share images and videos for 24 hours only. Instagram stories feature is similar to that of Snapchat where you can use numerous filters. It is mostly candid and casual videos and images. you can share a glimpse of what happens in your day-to-day life. Your story will be seen by people who follow you. If your account is public then others can also watch your story. To post a story, follow these steps:
- Swipe right on your home page
- Once you’re in the stories feature, you can take pictures or videos from the app itself or can upload them from the phone gallery. Instagram offers you features like boomerang, layout, multi capture, etc. They also have multiple filters to use for clicking photos or videos.
- In the top right corner, click on the smiley face to add location, hashtag, time, date, and other fun stuff. The pencil lets you draw on your image. Once you click on “Aa”, you can write anything and change the font of it.
- Lastly, click on “Your Story” to post it to your story. You can personally send it to people by clicking on “send to”. Also, you can share it with close friends only where you can select people you want to share the story with. You can also “highlight” your story after posting which will be saved on your profile and can be seen later (after 24 hours).
How to follow on Instagram?
Like Facebook, Instagram will also send you notifications of people you might know and might want to follow. You can also find people on Instagram whom you may know by searching it on the Instagram search bar. You can find celebrities, and brands and can even search for tags or places. Tags can be used to find a particular type of content whereas places can help you find nearby areas as well as posts from those areas. Use these really simple steps to follow someone:
- Click on the search icon on the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Search for any brand, person, or even audio for that matter. For example- here I searched for ‘Bethany Mota’.
- Now you can see a blue “Follow” button, click on it, and you are immediately following them. However, if their profile is private you might need to wait for them to accept your follow request first.
And hurrah! You’re on your way to becoming a pro. This was a basic Instagram tutorial to help you start your journey on Instagram. Do not forget to post regularly on Instagram to take your account to the next level and gain some popularity.
THANKYOU FOR READING We hope this article was helpful. If it was, then let us know in the comments down below.