If you’re running Windows 10 and your system requirements meet Microsoft’s demand, then you’ll be offered an upgrade via Windows Update. This is our guide to help you install or upgrade to Windows 11 but there are three things that you need to know.
- First, this method is designed for clean installs on new PC builds. Make sure you back up your data.
- Second, while you can attempt this on your current Windows 10 machine, you may not get to the end. If it doesn’t work, Windows 11 should roll your back to 10.
- Third, make sure you back up your data. Only at this point you can grab a USB stick and start rolling the dice.
Now let’s go ahead and see how to install or upgrade to Windows 11.
Upgrade to Windows 11:
If you’re upgrading from Windows 10, we recommend you to wait until you’re notified through Windows(This method will only work if you have the original version of Windows 10 or earlier). To check if Windows 11 is ready for your device select Start-> Settings-> Update & Security-> Windows Update-> Check for Updates. If your PC is ready for an upgrade, you will see a notification saying ‘This PC can run Windows 11’ or ‘Upgrade to Windows 11 is ready (if you do not see a notification like this, do not worry we have the next part of this article for you). You can go ahead and download the file and then click on the ‘Download and Install’ button.
Your PC will start a countdown of 30 minutes. Save all the work you were doing and restart your PC. You might also click on the ‘Restart now’ button in the ‘Windows Update’ panel of ‘Settings’ Be careful not to switch off your desktop or plug out your laptop during this process. This process might take some time.
If you have not received any notification from Microsoft and your PC is capable of running Windows 11 then follow the below steps:
- Go ahead download and install this app: PC health check app
- Now open this app and click on the ‘Check Now’ button and make sure your PC is Windows 11 compatible.
3. If your PC is compatible we now will have to go to a Microsoft website and download Windows 11 Installation Assistant.
4. Once you have downloaded the before mentioned application accept its license agreement and download and install it. It might take some time so wait patiently.
5. After the installing process is complete it will start a 30-minute countdown. Save all your ongoing work(if any) and click on the ‘Restart Now’ button.
6. It will then show you a warning dialogue box. Close it and wait for a second. Your PC will start the restart process.
7. Do not interfere with the process(do not turn off your desktop or plug out your laptop) and wait patiently.
8. Finally, you are done.
Clean Install of Windows 11:
Please keep in mind that installing a fresh copy of Windows 11 on your HDD/SSD will delete all the existing contents on the HDD/SSD. Then you can follow these steps:
- Click here to download the Windows 11 Installation Media.
2. When the file has been downloaded double-click on it to open it. When the Windows 11 setup window opens just click on the ‘Next’ button and then select the ‘USB flash drive’ option.
3. Now you need to get into the BIOS of your computer. Switch on your computer and while it turning on just keep on pressing the BIOS hotkeys. Keyboards/laptops of different brands have different hotkeys. Please click here to know the hotkeys of your laptop/keyboard.
4. Now you need to press the F12 key(might be different for different brands. Click here to know your boot selection key) to enter into the boot selection.
5. Now select your booting device(USB in this case).
6. Then a Windows 11 installer will appear on your screen. Now customize your setting according to your wish. If you have a product key you might enter it but you do not have it you can click on ‘I don’t have a product key’ and then proceed further.
7. Select ‘Windows 11 pro’ in the OS selection window and click on Next. Then accept the license agreement by Microsoft and proceed further.
8. In the Windows Setup window, you can customize in which folder of your HDD/SSD you want to install your OS. Because this is a fresh install I suggest you format your HDD/SSD and create a folder for only your OS.
Now you are almost done. Just proceed further and enter details asked by Microsoft and your computer will be running Windows 11 in its full-fledged form.
I hope the article “How to install or upgrade to Windows 11?” helped you. If it did and you got some knowledge then do let us know in the comments down below. Also, if you’re interested in similar articles then here are a few recommendations for you guys.